Sense n Cents

23 March 2008

Financial Tracker

A year ago, I was shoring around the internet looking for a program to allow me to keep track of my finances in a simple elegant and easy way... I downloaded several freeware software, but I just didn't find one I liked... So I decided to plop down and make up my own simple one using excel and put in a few simple macros and i was in business...

I'm putting it up here to share with you all and hope you find it useful in keeping track of your finances... and feel free to give your comments on how to improve it and all... Get it >here!< It's free for all... but if you want to host it somewhere else or something.. Just drop me a line and we'll talk about it...Here's a screenshot to give you an idea how it looks like when numbers have been filled in... There are 5 sheets that contribute to the pie charts... food, transport, entertainment, misc and rent. of course you can rename anything you want if that isn't a part of your expenditure that you want to actively track...

The first sheet and total sheet are summary sheets for the 5 other data sheets and are locked as you arent suppose to input numbers in them... you need to input your numbers into the 5 other sheets in numerical form that follows excel's basic rules.

i.e, if there's more than one item and you don't want to add them up your self, you have to input: =12+24 for excel to sum it up to 36. just numbers pls, excel adds the $ sign by itself... There is a final spreadsheet for input of pay and tax, however tax must be calculated manually as it is different from country to country...

Below the numerical input segment is a NOTES segment which can be also accessible from the notes button on each page, where you can input what the expense was for with a simple description.

On the Cumulative Overview page, the first pie chart is a cumulative one which reflects all that has been spent so far and the one at the bottom reflects the spending of the month, you can view each month by clicking on the month.

With some diligence on your part, you can easily track where your money is going and plan how to manage your finances. I did, I used it to keep track of my spending which helped me save up for my trip to Korea, maintain a car and still have substantial savings!

So you can download it here at : http://www.sendspace.com/file/3y84xl

If you have questions, feel free to consult the Q&A page regarding the programme. Cheers~

Disclaimer: While the author really hopes you find the program useful, he does not give guarantee that it will be 100% error free and that the numbers should be used as an approximate and not for legal purposes and shall not be held responsible for any errors, failures or other grievances.

No comments:

Contributors