Sense n Cents

09 September 2008

Economics of little monsters and noise

So a little background story, I'm staying with my uncle and his family... Two bickering kids and lotsa noise. Sometimes its the melodious sound of joyful laughter but at others, the awful screeching of angry screaming.

I found that if i applied a little economics to this situation...
I would be able to affect abit more joyful laughter and lots less awful screeching.

Lets say an eminent fight is on the brink of bubbling out of control...
I can take 2 actions:

1) Do nothing - do nothing.. pretend I am the three monkeys...
Let the house collapse with the earth shattering ground breaking noise.

I'd go hide in the room and so not be any less happier nor sadder, where as the kids will not be any happier or sadder because... they are kids who like to quarrel... and the parents will be unhappier, thus made less well off in term of the economics of happiness, and thus my taking this option of social non-chalance leads to an overall decrease in happiness level.

Assuming my not taking action would lead to a parent taking the kids
to task anyways, so no matter which option I choose, it can be taken that they would be that they would be unhappier(due to a scolding)

2) Shout and be the loudest - Show who's boss. Shout louder and longer and WIN. Survival of the fittest. Primal Rage.

Economically, I would be a little less happier as I would have to go primal and raise my voice a little... to get some peace... the kids... would be a little unhappier(but not much sadder than if i did nothing) but the parents get alittle peace and quiet and are thus better off in the happyness economic pie chart.

Assuming at any one time, there would be only one 'unit' of unhappiness among the adults: only one parent or me would be a little less happy from having to take action whereas the other 2 take the do nothing option, and are no better off.

So by utilitarian rule, I must do the greatest good for the greatest number... So I should take action which would lead to two other ppl being no less worse off.

The looking out for number one rule, states that I should just disappear into the wallpaper and slide up to my bedroom.....

Going by the faithful rule of three, I'm going to come up with a third solution.

3)Diffuse the situation - there are many ways to fight the seeming ineminent fire... Kids are really easy to distract and appease.
try tickling... telling a joke, dispersing them...

yea.. mainly just pulling them apart... and saving the house from collapsing...

who's happyer? me, parents and prob even the kids are a little well off.. assuming that the diffusal was a success....

So.. first point:
there is economics involved in everything! everyday life!

second point:
there are three sides to the coin! it's not always black and white.

third point:
based on economics, what would you do in a burning balloon?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awesome article! I never knew life could be broken down into such systematic approaches.

Contributors